Monday, November 17, 2008

FRUSTRATION SETS IN!

Well I tell you what, I am not to proud of my progress this week. I started the week off at 287lbs and weighed in today at 284.5. I am only down 2.5lbs this week. I followed my diet and exercise routine as usual and only l0st 2.5lbs. While this is very discouraging, it has helped me recommit to losing weight. I have noticed that I have been a little laxed mentally as of late. What I mean is ever since I upped my calories to 1800 I have kind of felt like I was less on a diet and more just eating healthy, which is not where I need to be mentally. As of today I have my focus back and am more motivated than ever to loose weight.





I am going to continue to eat 1800 calories a day for the next month and a half. My goal is to be at 267 on Jan. 1st. That's 17.5lbs in 6 weeks. It will be especially hard since the next 6 weeks are some of the most food oriented weeks of the year. Nevertheless if I keep up my exercise and stay focused I should reach that goal. Once Jan. 1st rolls around I am going to drop my calories back down to about 1500 for an extra little push as I get closer to the wedding. That would give me about 2.5 months from Jan. 1st to loose another 45lbs. If I could be at 227 for Rachael's wedding I would be ecstatic.



Last night Mary and I were watching a show on THE LEARNING CHANNEL called My Half-Ton Dad. It was about the obesity epidemic in the U.S. and how the class of the "super obese" is the fastest growing class of overweight people. They featured one man who weighed 1030lbs, yes that's right a half a ton. This man was a thin attractive man in his late teens, but due to poor eating and bad genes, he blew up to that weight in about 10 years. I could not believe what I saw while watching this show. These people were consuming about 30,000 calories every day. They would eat in one day what a normal person would eat in 2 weeks. There were many other severely obese people in this documentary who all were preparing to undergo surgery to loose weight.. Let me tell you, I have never been so scared about my eating habits before in my life. While I have never been that out of control with my eating, I could have seen myself easily gaining more and more weight as I got older. The doctors on this show said that genetics is the primary problem for these people, but that their eating habits is what allowed them to get so big. After watching that show, Mary and I made a promise to each other to never let ourselves get out of control like that. I may never have wash board abs and be able to run for miles and miles, but I will never let food rule my life again. My daughters will not grow up in a home where eating is the primary activity. My daughters will grow up eating healthy and smart so that they can pass on good habits to their children America has got a real problem on its hands, I don't know what the statistic is for the U.S. but 64% of Austin Texas is obese. That is out of control and there needs to be something done. No matter how long it takes, I will get to a healthy weight and stay there.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Good goals Jared! And don't be discouraged - you're doing A LOT better than most!
We have the same goals for our kiddos - I don't want eating to become a hobby - but that means I'll have to break out of that habit first!

Mary-Sunshine said...

You will not be the half ton dad! i have faith in both of us to be healthy and fit!!!